the writing life: secret no. 10

10:28 AM


It's the stuff about you that you may
consider undesirable that makes you
interesting to read.

I'm not just referring to self-deprecation or memoir writing. I've learned it's okay to go ahead and embrace and exploit my weaknesses. For me, sometimes this means exposing neurotic tendencies, and keep in mind:

“EVERYTHING GREAT IN THE WORLD HAS COME FROM NEUROTICS. THEY ALONE HAVE FOUNDED OUR RELIGIONS AND COMPOSED OUR MASTERPIECES.” 
Marcel Proust

Proust shared my bias. Although as a writer and human being my preference is to be "in command" and not "possessed" by my fantasy:

"THE POET IS IN COMMAND OF HIS FANTASY WHILE IT IS EXACTLY THE MARK OF A NEUROTIC THAT HE IS POSSESSED BY HIS FANTASY. "
Lionel Trilling

Even Freud acknowledged "neurotics complain about their illness, but they make the most of it." Maybe a version of that will grace my tombstone someday:

"...GIRL WAS CRAZY, BUT SHE MADE THE MOST OF IT."

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Articles